STEPS TO GET A CANADIAN STUDENT VISA
WHAT IS A STUDENT VISA-:
A student visa is a non-immigrant type of visa that allows international students to study in a foreign country.
In order to study in Canada, you need a Canadian study permit and a student visa for the duration of your course of study. It is always advisable to first apply for a study permit before coming to Canada.
If your course of study or program doesn’t run for one year or two years upwards, a study permit or student visa won’t be issued.
REQUIREMENT FOR A STUDY VISA IN CANADA
1. A valid passport.
2. High school certificate. In the case of a postgraduate study, you have to present your bachelor’s degree.
3. Acceptance letter from the selected school.
4. Proof of payment
GETTING A STUDENT VISA
1. Apply at a government-recognized university-: The first step is for you to apply at a Canadian university, you will get an acceptance letter that will be used for the visa procession.
2. Starting your visa application-: As soon as an admission letter is sent to you from the school of your choice, log in to the Canadian citizenship and immigration website and apply for your Canadian student visa or study permit.
During registration, you should be able to provide the following documents.
- ACCEPTANCE LETTER: The acceptance letter issued to you from the university will be used for your student permit procession. This will be submitted to the Canadian citizenship and immigration website. Be informed that the school of your choice must be recognized by the Canadian government.
- STATEMENT OF BANK ACCOUNT: Your account should have at least a balance of CAD 10,000 for each year of your stay in Canada. This is also called proof of funds.
- MEDICAL RECORDS: A medical record is necessary to show that you don’t have any health issues or an ailment
3. language Requirement-: If you come from a country where English is not the native tongue, you will be required to submit your international English language Test System (IELTS) result.
IELTS is designed to help you work, study and migrate to a country where English is the native language. There are other English language proficiency tests that are acceptable, they include;
- IELTS Academy
- TOEFL iBT
- PTE Academy
4. Biometrics After the above steps have been followed, the next step is a biometric appointment; you will be required to visit a visa application center in your country for your biometrics. You might want to go with a little money for the service charges.
Biometrics is not for all countries, but rest assured Africa and Asian continents will need it.
5. Interview This is the final step. An email will be sent to you, giving the date and time for your interview. The standard estimated or procession time for a student visa is 11 weeks, but this can be faster if you apply through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) which takes 20 days on average